We started school last week. Our district begins early, and we like to loosely follow their schedule so we have days off with cousins, but it seemed so early this year (even though it was a week later than last year). Oddly enough, the weather seemed to follow the school schedule as well. Autumn is in the air. The mornings have been cooler, most of the wildflowers have finished blooming, and the trees have that early fall look about them. Everything is still green, but you can tell it’s all winding down.
School’s off to a good start, though I haven’t had as much time to write. We’re starting to settle into a schedule. Once we figure out this year’s routine, I’ll be good. It seems to change every year. The kids have been naturally starting earlier, getting things done faster, and we’ve had more time for extracurricular activities that we weren’t able to fit in last year.
A few days ago, I planned out a dinner menu for the rest of August and all of September. I had been using an app, but the food was getting a little too unique for our tastes, so I went back to doing it myself. We’ll see how it goes. I’m hoping it will help us eat at home more often because we’re terrible about that. I just don’t like to cook like I used to.
As for writing updates, here are the highlights (in bullet points because you know I love them):
- I finished the first draft of Shine and Shimmer last week as I was hoping. I’ve been working on a release schedule, and I plan on publishing it in early March.
- I finally have an idea that I’m excited about for the second Cabin. Coffee. Love. book. As you know, it’s been plaguing me. I’m not going to even tell you what it is. I plan to let it percolate a little and see where it goes. Hopefully, this one doesn’t fizzle out. I’ve never had as much trouble with a book as I’m having with this one. I know there are a lot of you patiently waiting. I just want to let you know I haven’t forgotten about it. I promise.
- I’m halfway finished writing the short retelling of Rumplestilzchen for the multi-author fairy tale anthology I’m going to be a part of. I don’t have a lot of news on this yet, but I’ll fill you in as it gets closer.
- Beauty in the Red Hood: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling has been temporarily put on hold due to the deadline for Rumplestilzchen. I should start working on it again next week.
- Puss without Boots: A Puss in Boots Retelling is going into its final stages of production. In the next few weeks, it will be formatted and sent to the proofreaders.
- I have decided to write the adult fantasy series I’m in the first stages of outlining under the pen name S. L. Cook. It’s easier to keep the young adult works separate. I’ll begin writing the first story as soon as I’m finished with Beauty.
And…I think that’s all for now. Have a great weekend, all!